Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Hot and Sour Soup

This is one of my favourite soups. I love all soups,but there are a few that I always make and keep extras in single serve containers in my freezer for my late night menopausal food attacks. This is one of them, along with Senate Bean Soup, Chicken Noodle Soup and Tortilla Soup. Homemade soups are yummy, good for you and curbs my cravings in the middle of the night!(or anytime for that matter) Honestly when I don't have a stash of homemade soup in my freezer, I panic. I feel like someone in the desert with no water in sight! Yeah, I know, weird! What can I say, I LOVE SOUP!!




Hot and Sour Soup
(Printable Recipe)

3 cartons of Campbell's Low Sodium Chicken Broth
1 14g (.5 oz.) package dried shiitake mushrooms, reconstituted and chopped
1 can sliced bamboo shoots, drained
3 tbsp. soy sauce
2 1/2 tbsp. fresh lemon juice
1-1" piece of ginger
1 cup leftover pork, cut into small strips
2 tbsp. rice vinegar
1 tsp. pepper
350 g PC Blue Menu extra firm tofu, drained and cut into cubes
1 carrot, cut into 1" strips and julienned
1 can beansprouts, drained
Green tops of 3 green onions, cut into 1" strips and julienned
3 tbsp. cornstarch
6 tbsp. water
2 large egg whites, beaten
1-2 tbsp. sirrracha hot chile sauce
1 tbsp. toasted sesame oil

Combine first eight ingredients. Bring to a boil, reduce and simmer 5 minutes. Add vinegar, pepper, beansprouts, carrot, green onion and tofu. Cook 2 minutes. Combine cornstarch and water; add to pan and cook 1 minute, stirring constantly. Slowly drizzle in egg whites while stirring. Remove from heat and stir in hot chile sauce and sesame oil.



No comments:

Post a Comment